This has a delicious, light creamy orange flavoring to it. If you enjoy rich sweetness, you can double the brown sugar. It is my husband’s favorite breakfast!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 6 (1-inch thick) slices French bread broken apart
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 orange juiced and 2-3 tsp orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt butter in microwave. Mix in brown sugar stirring until sugar is dissolved. Pour into a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Break bread slices into large pieces and put in large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, vanilla extract, orange juice & zest, corn syrup, and salt. Pour over the bread. Let soak at least 15 minutes.
- Spoon mixture evenly over brown sugar/butter mix. Sprinkle a little brown sugar over top and bake uncovered 40 minutes in preheated oven, until puffed and lightly browned.