3 c sugar
4 1/2 c all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp cloves, ground
1 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
2 c water
3/4 tsp salt
1 c strong brewed coffee
3/4 c chopped pecans
1 bx raisins
1/2 c light corn syrup
1 box dates, chopped
1 c pecans, halved
3/4 c butter
2 Tbsp bourbon or rum (optional)
1) Combine first eight ingredients in a saucepan and bring to low boil while stirring continually. Reduce heat and let simmer 5 minutes. Remove to cool.
2) Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
3) Once cooled to lukewarm, slowly stir the liquid spice/fruit mixture into the dry ingredients. Pour into two well-greased loaf pans.
4) Arrange pecan halves in a decorative pattern on the top of the loaves.
5) Bake 1 hour at 300 degrees.
6) With a brush, gently apply a coat of corn syrup over the cakes. (A few tablespoons of bourbon or rum may be added to the corn syrup.)
7) Continue baking one hour, or until a toothpick come out of the cakes cleanly. Cool.
8) For an adult dessert, a few tablespoons of bourbon or rum can be poured on each slice prior to serving.