9 oz. (250 grams) paneer (see recipe – filed under cheese)
2 bunches of palak (spinach)
3 medium sized onions (finely chopped)
2 medium size tomatoes (finely chopped) OR tomato puree as per convenience
2 green chillies (slit into half)
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
½ ginger paste
½ garlic paste
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp garam masala
½ tsp chana masala
1 tsp sugar
3 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
Cream for garnish
1. Cook the palak (spinach) for about 5 minutes in boiling water and grind it to fine paste after it is cold.
2. Cut the paneer into small cubes and deep fry in oil until light golden brown.
3. Heat the oil in a Kadhai/non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds. Wait till it crackles and ensure that it does not burn. Add the chopped onions and green chillies and sauté till the onions are golden brown. Add the ginger garlic paste and sauté for another minute. Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder and the chana masala powder and sauté for another 1-2 minutes. Then add the tomatoes/tomato puree and stir until the oil separates.
4. Add palak paste to this mixture along with 1 cup water.(Tip: You can use the water used for cooking the spinach)
5. Add paneer, garam masala, sugar and salt and cook until you see the gravy bubbling. If gravy seems dry, you can add a little water.
4. Garnish with some cream.
5. Serve and enjoy your palak paneer with Red Kidney Beans (Rajma) and rice.