A Bayou Country favorite! It just doesn’t get any better than a deer steak meal with mashed potatoes and English Pea Salad.
1-2 pkg of venison steaks or back strap
1/2 c white vinegar
1 c milk
2 c all purpose flour
Tony Chachere’s to taste
salt and pepper to taste
1. Trim the membrane (white connective tissue) off the meat. Cut in small pieces, about 1/2 the size of a small hand.
2. Soak in cold water with vinegar added, overnight if possible in fridge. This draws the blood out and I try to soak as long as possible.
3. Rinse water, vinegar and blood off of meat. Stir eggs and milk together and pour over meat.
4. In a separate bowl, mix flour and seasoning together. You can adjust these measurements to allow for enough to cover your meat.
5. Heat oil for cooking.
6. Take one piece of meat at a time and cover all sides with flour mixture. I press mine down to cover well all over. Coat all the meat in this manner. I do a little bit at a time as I need it to go into the grease. If you want extra crunchy dip and flour twice.
7. When grease is hot, drop meat in and brown on one side and then flip for other side. I try to turn only once so it will be crispy. When golden brown, drain on paper towel.