The oven is too hot to use during summer months in the South, so I adapted this recipe to be cooked on the stove top.
12 oz Ziti pasta, cooked and drained
1 lb smoked sausage link, sliced
1/2 lb hamburger
1/4 c bell peppers
1/3 c onion, chopped
4 Tbsp sun dried tomatoes
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning mix (or 1 tsp each oregano, basil)
6 oz tomato paste
16 oz diced, stewed tomatoes
2/3 c Mexican cheese, grated (or mix Colby and Mozzarella)
1/3 c Parmesan, fresh grated
- Brown hamburger and sausage in large skillet. Transfer meat to large bowl leaving oils in skillet.
- Saute onions and peppers in hamburger oils. Drain off oils.
- Add all ingredients to skillet, EXCEPT grated cheeses.
- Simmer 15 minutes. Fold in cheeses and serve.
- Great with Ceasar salad and garlic buttered bread!