These fabulous muffins have a crunchy sweet sugar topping and are great with no extra added butter or jam.
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups diced rhubarb
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 12 cup muffin pans or line with paper cups.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the brown sugar, oil, egg, vanilla and buttermilk with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Pour in the dry ingredients and mix by hand just until blended. Stir in the rhubarb and walnuts.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, filling almost to the top.
- In a small bowl, stir together the melted butter, white sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of this mixture on top of each muffin.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the tops of the muffins spring back when lightly pressed, about 25 minutes. Cool in the pans for at least 10 minutes before removing.