1 loaf (1 1/2 lb.) sliced sourdough bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter or margarine
2 onions (3/4 lb. total), peeled and finely chopped
2 cups thinly sliced celery, including leaves
1/2 pound mushrooms, rinsed, discolored stem ends trimmed, and thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper (1/2 lb), rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
1/2 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
5 green onions, ends trimmed, rinsed and thinly sliced
1 can (10 1/2 oz.) condensed chicken broth
2 cans (6 1/2 oz. each) minced clams
1 can (2 1/4 oz.) sliced ripe black olives, drained
2 tsp Italian seasoning blend (or 1 tsp each dried oregano and dried basil)
Salt and coarse-ground pepper
2 large eggs
- In a 325° oven, bake bread cubes in a 12- by 17-inch roasting pan until dry and firm to touch, 15 to 20 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a 10- to 12-inch frying pan, combine butter, chopped onions, celery, mushrooms, and bell pepper; stir often over medium-high heat until vegetables are limp, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Mix cooked vegetable mixture, parsley, green onions, broth, clams with juice, olives, and Italian seasonings with bread cubes in roasting pan. Add salt and pepper to taste. In a small bowl, beat eggs to blend, then stir into bread mixture.
- Spoon into a shallow 3-quart casserole and cover tightly. (If making up to 1 day ahead, chill.)
- Bake in a 350° oven until hot (at least 150° in center), 35 to 40 minutes (50 to 65 minutes if chilled). For a crusty top, uncover the last 20 to 30 minutes.