4 pounds sweet potatoes
Freshly ground white pepper
1 cup light or dark brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
6 tablespoons dark rum
2 tablespoon grated orange rind
2 tablespoon minced ginger, fresh or candied
1-1/2 teaspoon allspice
1-1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Scrub sweet potatoes, slice in half long-ways and boil until tender.
- Set one potato aside for chili. Peel the sweet potatoes and smash.
- Sprinkle Allspice over them.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter, brown sugar, juice of one lime, rum, orange zest, ginger, other spices, and salt, until sugar is dissolved. Pour this mixture over the sweet potatoes and stir well.
- This dish may be best prepared ahead of time and reheated before serving. The same glaze would be delicious with acorn or other baked squash.
British English Chili
1 sweet onion, diced
1 cooked Sweet Potato w/peel
1 bell pepper
1-1/2 tsp chili powder
1-1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 can, 14 oz of diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
30 oz crushed tomatoes
5 cans black beans drained and rinsed
- Heat a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray and cook the onions with a small pinch of salt until just turning transparent and slightly browning.
- While the onion is cooking cut up the sweet potato into small cubes. Add the sweet potato to the pot with the onion.
- Continue to cook and occasional toss while you chop the green pepper. Add the pepper to the pot and the dry spices. Toss.
- Your pot should be getting dry and possibly sticking – that’s ok. Add the can of diced tomatoes plus 1/3 a can of water and scrape up all that yummy goodness from the bottom of the pan. Add the lime juice and Tabasco.
- Add black beans and stir everything together.
- Bring the chili to a boil then lower to a simmer and cover. Cook 20 minutes covered and then another 10 minutes or so uncovered until the sweet potato softens a bit.
Garnish with slices of avocado, a pinch of Mexican cheese blend and a sprinkle of dried cilantro on top.